Monday 31 March 2008

COMMENT from Robert S Hunter

Having read in this mornings press the news that the ex CEO of Northern Rock Mr Applegarth is continuing to receive in excess of £30,000/month even though he is apparently no longer associated with the company, it fills me with such disgust and disdain I have to commit my feelings on the matter to print.


It is as obscene as it is grotesque, and a comment on the sort of society Britain has become under the various governments, legislators, and MPs of the last 30 years, that this state of affairs is tolerated and permitted to exist, either by the present management of Northern Rock, or the new owners in the form of this government, or government policy makers our MPs.


If I had been CEO presiding over the self interested cavalier policies, greed and incompetence, which have caused such catastrophe to the life savings of the Small Shareholders and cut short the careers of so many employees, I would have been content with the huge sums of money I had already received, without rubbing sand in the wounds I had inflicted on others, by continuing to take such unjust rewards.


I would have thought Mr Applegarth, in the name of decency, if he has any, would have refused to accept such offensive handouts, whether he is legally entitled to them or not.


This sort of regime upheld by our MPs and legislators, makes communism look positively attractive in comparison, for at least we would know those in charge under communism have only their own interests at heart, whereas at present we are still asked and expected to believe that we live in a fair society and a just democracy.


I wonder if and when President Mugabe is deposed, he will receive such beneficial reward as Mr Applegarth receives?


Robert S Hunter

No comments: